You DO NOT need a visa for short stays in Germany if you are:

- a citizen of the EU/EEA/EFTA,

- a spouse (married/civil partnership) or child of an EU/EEA/EFTA national must hold one of the following British visas that say explicitly: "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" OR "Permanent Residence Card" - and must travel with the EU/EEA/EFTA national. Please compare displayed samples (see on the right hand side) carefully,

- a holder of a Diplomatic, Service or Special Passport from Chad, Ghana, Philippines and Turkey,

- a holder of a Diplomatic, Service, Special or Official Passport from Thailand,

- a holder of a Diplomatic Passport from Albania, Algeria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Armenia, Georgia, Ecuador, India, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Macedonia, Malawi, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Pakistan, Peru, Russian Federation, Serbia, South Africa, Tunisia, Ukraine and United Arab Emirates, Vietnam,

- a citizen of a country listed below (provided you are not going to stay longer than three months and you are not going to do any paid or self-employed work):

AlbaniaBulgariaJapanNew ZealandTaiwan (only passports that include an ID number)
AndorraCanadaKorea (Republic of)PanamaUSA
Antigua & BarbudaChileMacao (RAE only)ParaguayUruguay
ArgentinaCosta RicaMalaysiaRomaniaVatican
AustraliaCroatiaMauritiusSan MarinoVenezuela
BahamasEl SalvadorMazedoniaSerbia
Bosnia Herzegovina (only biometric passports) HondurasMonacoSingapore
BrazilHong Kong (SAR passports)MontenegroSt. Kitts & Nevis

Holders of British Passports/Travel Documents:

To enter Germany without a visa, you must have one of these:

  • British "European Community" passport issued in or after July 1988
  • British "Isle of Man", "Jersey" and "Guernsey and its dependencies" passport
  • Travel Documents according with the Convention of July 28, 1951 or the Convention of September 28 1954. (These Travel Documents must be valid for at least another four months at the time of entry into Germany.)
  • British Subject passport
  • British Overseas Territories citizen passport
  • British Nationals Overseas (BNO) passport.
  • British Protected Persons Passport
  • British Overseas Citizens Passport

Citizens of any countries not mentioned above WILL need a visa to enter Germany.

Please note:
The processing time for visa applications for the nationals of the following countries is 14 days. In addition to the regular requirements, these nationals have to provide a full address of reference in Germany with postcode.

BurundiCongo (DR)EgyptIndonesiaIraq

Kazakhstan (diplomatic

passports only)




North Korea

OmanPakistanPalestine (Travel document)PhilippinesQatar
RwandaSaudi ArabiaSomaliaSudanSyria
TunisiaUnited Arab EmiratesUzbekistanYemenVietnam

Please note that Travel Documents issued by the countries named above will need the same processing time.

British Residence Card

Here you can view examples of the above mentioned cards

view the samples

Contact visa section

For general enquiries regarding Schengen visas and appointments please contact VFS.

Tel: 0871 376 2101 (Monday-Friday 08:30-17:30)

Email: vfshelpline%27%com,info%27%schengen


For enquiries regarding residence permits you can contact the visa section on tel: 0207 8241 466 (Monday - Thursday 13.30 - 15.30). Please note that we will not be able to give applicants information on the status of their application or if it will be successful.

Airport Transit Visas

Airbus A330-200F

Nationals of certain countries require an airport transit visa to change aircraft at a German airport. 

Read more


Only passports that have been issued (not extended) during the past ten years can be endorsed with a visa. If your passport was issued longer than 10 years ago, please apply for a new passport at your Embassy.

Your are leaving the mobile version of the German Mission website.